Shaving My Legs Hurts, It Stings, I Always Cut Myself and I Hate It! So I Haven’t Shaved My Legs In Three Years, Yet They Look Like They Were Shaved This Morning!
There are 6 things you need to know to decide whether laser hair removal is for you, to show you how to determine where is the best place to go, to save you the most money and to get the best results so you never have to shave again!
1-Laser Hair Removal in America Is an Unregulated Profession.
What that means is that anybody who can afford a laser, can perform laser hair removal treatment. It’s important to find someone in the medical profession who has been properly trained to perform this treatment. This is not like taking a laser pointer used in a presentation and shining it on your skin. This is a very powerful device that can cause problems if used improperly. Ask if the person performing the procedure is a doctor, nurse, nurse practitioner, physician’s assistant or other medically trained professional. This is very important and will greatly reduce the number of potential problems if they are medically trained.
2-How Many Treatments Are Required?
There are a few factors that determine the number of treatments that are required in laser hair removal. Typically 3-8 treatments are required for most areas of the body. Some are considerably more such as men’s faces, but the average for the rest is around seven treatments. Other factors involved are the area of the body being treated, the coarseness of the hair, the gender of the person receiving the treatment or people suffering from hirsutism (excessive hairiness). Some clinics use lower settings to make you come more often and costing you more money.
3-Can All Skin Types Be Treated?
While all skin types can be treated with a variety of lasers, not all hair colors can be treated. For darker skinned patients is important that the laser be changed to the long-pulsed: Nd:YAG laser. Brown or black hair work best for laser hair removal but it does not work well on light-colored hair, red, gray, white or very fine hair.
4-How Long Should I Wait between Treatments?
Here is where good planning comes in because you should usually wait 3 to 8 weeks between treatments depending upon the area of the body being treated. The goal here is to have some of the hair start to grow back and then zap it again. If you plan right, you can do it before summer arrives and not worry about being in the Sun between treatments as that is highly inadvisable.
5-Are There Any Side Effects That I Should Be Aware of?
- The most common side effects are itching, redness and minor swelling around the treatment area. They should never last more than two or three days. The most common serious side effect is a change in skin pigment but it is not harmful.
- There is some pain involved during the treatments that is similar to a rubber band being snapped on the skin. It is advisable that patients use numbing creams 30 minutes before treatments and icing after treatments. Please do not use strong numbing creams over larger areas of the body as this can be very dangerous.
- Very rarely do blistering, scarring and changes in skin texture ever occur.
- Some people with acne may find additional flareups of their acne.
- If not properly treated or having the procedure done in an unclean room can result in infection. Make sure that the treatment room is as clean as any medical treatment room should be.
- While the person is undergoing a series of treatments for laser hair reduction is important that the patient not use any type of waxes or tweezing during that timeframe.
- It is also important that while going through laser reduction treatment exposure to sunlight be drastically reduced as the skin can easily burn and cause problems.
6-Are There Any Other Uses for Laser Hair Removal?
People who suffer from ingrown hairs have found a wonderful relief of the symptoms through laser hair removal. You no longer have to deal with “shaving bumps” or those annoying infections that constantly occur with ingrown hairs.
As you can see, laser hair removal should not be performed by anyone other than a medically trained professional. Dr. Joseph Johnson, of Sierra Nevada Wellness Center is the professional doctor that oversees all laser hair removal procedures at his clinic. Although trained assistants perform the actual treatments, Dr. Johnson has made sure that they know exactly what they’re doing. In fact, the technician performing all laser hair removal treatments, even knows how to fix the laser in the office herself! This training cost well over $5000 to be able to do this but we felt it was necessary because the timeframe and expense of getting the laser repaired whenever it needs it, would have greatly affected our customers and their schedules. No one else in Nevada knows how to fix a laser like our technician!
We would like to offer you a special coupon for trying out a laser hair removal program at Sierra Nevada Wellness Center. YOUR FIRST UNDERARM TREATMENT IS 100% FREE WITH THE PURCHASE OF ANY OTHER LASER TREATMENT!